Detection and differentiation of human polyomaviruses JC and BK by LightCycler PCR

Whiley, David M., Mackay, Ian M. and Sloots, Theo P. (2001) Detection and differentiation of human polyomaviruses JC and BK by LightCycler PCR. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 39 12: 4357-4361. doi:10.1128/JCM.39.12.4357-4361.2001

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
UQ59857_OA.pdf Full text (open access) application/pdf 77.23KB 0

Author Whiley, David M.
Mackay, Ian M.
Sloots, Theo P.
Title Detection and differentiation of human polyomaviruses JC and BK by LightCycler PCR
Journal name Journal of Clinical Microbiology   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 1098-660X
Publication date 2001-12-01
Year available 2001
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1128/JCM.39.12.4357-4361.2001
Open Access Status File (Publisher version)
Volume 39
Issue 12
Start page 4357
End page 4361
Total pages 5
Editor Andrew B. Onderdonk
Place of publication Washington, DC, United States
Publisher American Society for Microbiology
Language eng
Abstract Human polyomaviruses JC and BK may cause several clinical manifestations in immunocompromised hosts, including progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy and hemorrhagic cystitis. Molecular detection by PCR is recognized as a sensitive and specific method for detecting human polyomaviruses in clinical samples. In this study, a real-time PCR assay using the LightCycler platform was evaluated and compared to an in-house PCR assay using a conventional detection method. A total of 122 urine specimens were tested, and human polyomavirus was detected in 49 specimens (40%) by both conventional PCR and LightCycler PCR. The remaining 73 specimens (60%) were found negative by both assays. For 46 of the 49 positive specimens, LightCycler PCR and conventional PCR identified the same polyomavirus type. These samples included 30 samples with JC virus (JCV), 14 samples with BK virus (BKV), and 2 samples in which both viruses were detected. In the remaining three samples, both JCV and BKV were detected by the conventional assay, but only JCV was detected by the LightCycler assay. The results of this study show that the LightCycler PCR assay displays sensitivity and specificity similar to those of a conventional PCR assay. These data, combined with its rapid turnaround time for results and decreased hands-on time, make the LightCycler PCR assay highly suitable for the rapid detection and differentiation of JCV and BKV in the clinical laboratory.
Keyword Microbiology
Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy
Q-Index Code C1
Institutional Status UQ

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collection: Clinical Medical Virology Centre Publications
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 69 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Scopus Citation Count Cited 79 times in Scopus Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Wed, 15 Aug 2007, 02:06:29 EST