In 2017, The University of Queensland Library celebrated ninety years since the founding of the Fryer Library and fifty years since the Father Leo Hayes donation. The Fryer Library was founded in 1927 as the Fryer Memorial Library of Australian Literature by Dr Frederick Walter Robinson from a donation of £10 in 1926 by The University of Queensland's Dramatic Society, in memory of former student and First World War veteran, John Denis Fryer.
The Library was initially attached to the then Department of Modern Languages and later, the English Department with Robinson as the custodian. In 1954 it came under the administration of the University Libarian, Harrison Bryan. From these early days Fryer Library continues to provide a rich store of books, manuscripts, photographs, theses, architectural drawings, oral histories and much more. The Fryer Library's extensive collection of published and unpublished material focuses on Australian literature, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander studies, Queensland history, art and architecture.