A multiparametric approach to tumor markers detectable in serum in patients with carcinoma of the ovary or uterine cervix

Sarjadi S., Daunter B., Mackay E., Magon H. and Khoo S.K. (1980) A multiparametric approach to tumor markers detectable in serum in patients with carcinoma of the ovary or uterine cervix. Gynecologic Oncology, 10 2: 113-124. doi:10.1016/0090-8258(80)90073-6


Author Sarjadi S.
Daunter B.
Mackay E.
Magon H.
Khoo S.K.
Title A multiparametric approach to tumor markers detectable in serum in patients with carcinoma of the ovary or uterine cervix
Journal name Gynecologic Oncology   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 0090-8258
Publication date 1980-01-01
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1016/0090-8258(80)90073-6
Open Access Status Not yet assessed
Volume 10
Issue 2
Start page 113
End page 124
Total pages 12
Language eng
Subject 2729 Obstetrics and Gynaecology
2730 Oncology
Abstract A comparison of several serum tumor markers (lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), sialyltransferase (ST), carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), β microglobulin (βM), γ-chain fetal hemoglobulin (HbF), immune complexes (ImCp), and spermine (Spm)) was made in patients with carcinoma of the ovary or cervix uteri and healthy control subjects. The greatest positive results were obtained with the markers LDH (40%) and βM (46%) for patients with carcinoma of the cervix and ovary, respectively. However, based on false positive results, the most suitable single marker for patients with carcinoma of the cervix was Spm (30%). When a multiparametric approach was taken, a combination of four of the seven markers resulted in an increase in the positive results, that is, the cancer patients were positive for one of the four markers. This was 76% for patients with carcinoma of the cervix using the markers LDH, ST, Spm, and βM and 79% for patients with carcinoma of the ovary using the markers ST, CEA, HbF, and βM. All markers in both groups of cancer patients were elevated above control levels with the exception of ST which was decreased in patients with carcinoma of the ovary. ST, CEA, and HbF were found to be associated by multilinear regression analysis in the ovarian cancer group. As the ST approached normal levels CEA and HbF became elevated. Similarly there was a linear relationship between βM and ImCp demonstrating positively at similar times.
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Provisional Code
Institutional Status Unknown

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collection: Scopus Import - Archived
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 12 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Scopus Citation Count Cited 14 times in Scopus Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Tue, 16 Aug 2016, 13:24:35 EST by System User