Nickel translocation via the phloem in the hyperaccumulator Noccaea caerulescens (Brassicaceae)

Deng, Teng-Hao-Bo, Tang, Ye-Tao, van der Ent, Antony, Sterckeman, Thibault, Echevarria, Guillaume, Morel, Jean-Louis and Qiu, Rong-Liang (2016) Nickel translocation via the phloem in the hyperaccumulator Noccaea caerulescens (Brassicaceae). Plant and Soil, 404 1-2: 1-11. doi:10.1007/s11104-016-2825-1


Author Deng, Teng-Hao-Bo
Tang, Ye-Tao
van der Ent, Antony
Sterckeman, Thibault
Echevarria, Guillaume
Morel, Jean-Louis
Qiu, Rong-Liang
Title Nickel translocation via the phloem in the hyperaccumulator Noccaea caerulescens (Brassicaceae)
Formatted title
Nickel translocation via the phloem in the hyperaccumulator Noccaea caerulescens (Brassicaceae)
Journal name Plant and Soil   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 0032-079X
1573-5036
Publication date 2016-02-11
Year available 2016
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1007/s11104-016-2825-1
Open Access Status Not Open Access
Volume 404
Issue 1-2
Start page 1
End page 11
Total pages 11
Place of publication Dordrecht, Netherlands
Publisher Springer
Language eng
Subject 1111 Soil Science
1110 Plant Science
Abstract Aims: This study evaluated the effect of phloem translocation on Ni accumulation in the hyperaccumulator Noccaea caerulescens. Methods: The first experiment assessed the metal and organic compound concentrations in phloem sap. Leaves were cut from plants grown in nutrient solutions added with 100 μM Ni or Zn, and then used for phloem sap extraction by means of the EDTA-stimulated exudation method. In the second experiment, Ni was applied to old leaves as a foliar spray to assess bidirectional movement of Ni in phloem. Results: In the first experiment, enrichment of Ni or Zn was found in phloem exudates, indicating high Ni and Zn phloem loading and translocation capacity in N. caerulescens. Amino acids, e.g. nicotianamine and histidine, were present at low concentrations in exudates, which are insufficient for Ni and Zn chelation. On the contrary, concentrations of organic acids, especially malate, were high in all treatments, which may be involved in Ni and Zn chelation in phloem. The second experiment showed that 89 % of Ni exported from old leaves was translocated upward to young leaves, whereas only 11 % moved downward to roots. Conclusions: Phloem sap of N. caerulescens is enriched in Ni and malate, the majority of which moves upward to young tissues. Phloem translocation may play an important role for Ni accumulation in young leaves of N. caerulescens.
Keyword Nickel
Hyperaccumulator
Noccaea caerulescens
Phloem
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Provisional Code
Grant ID 41371315
15lgjc36
20150937
Institutional Status UQ

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collections: Centre for Mined Land Rehabilitation Publications
HERDC Pre-Audit
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 11 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Scopus Citation Count Cited 13 times in Scopus Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Sun, 14 Feb 2016, 23:32:11 EST by Mr Antony Van Der Ent on behalf of Centre For Mined Land Rehabilitation