Success of surgery for primary aldosteronism judged by residual autonomous aldosterone production

Rutherford, JC, Taylor, WL, Stowasser, M and Gordon, RD (1998) Success of surgery for primary aldosteronism judged by residual autonomous aldosterone production. World Journal of Surgery, 22 12: 1243-1245. doi:10.1007/s002689900552


Author Rutherford, JC
Taylor, WL
Stowasser, M
Gordon, RD
Title Success of surgery for primary aldosteronism judged by residual autonomous aldosterone production
Journal name World Journal of Surgery   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 0364-2313
Publication date 1998-01-01
Year available 1998
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1007/s002689900552
Open Access Status Not Open Access
Volume 22
Issue 12
Start page 1243
End page 1245
Total pages 3
Publisher SPRINGER VERLAG
Language eng
Abstract Since February 1996 we have prospectively assessed residual adrenal autonomy by the fludrocortisone suppression test (FST) in 23 patients 3 months after unilateral adrenalectomy for Conn syndrome and in 45 patients after a longer interval. In regard to blood pressure, 36 (53%) patients were cured of hypertension and the remaining 32 (47%) patients had improved hypertension control at the time of their latest postoperative clinical assessment. In regard to the outcome of surgery, patients who achieved normal suppressibility of aldosterone were regarded as cured, and those who had greater suppressibility after surgery were considered improved. Time since surgery for the whole group averaged 26 months. By these biochemical criteria, 42 patients (62%) were cured by surgery, and the rest improved; 16 (76%) of 21 women were cured, and 26 (55%) of 47 men. The women (mean +/- SD age 47 +/- 11 years) were significantly (p < 0.05) younger than the men (52 +/- 9 Sears). Preoperative aldosterone levels before and after FST were similar in the cured and improved groups and fell significantly (p < 0.01) in both groups following surgery. After surgical reduction of autonomous aldosterone production, mean plasma renin activity levels increased sixfold in the cured group and threefold in the improved group. Surgical mortality in this group of 68 patients with Conn syndrome was zero.
Keyword Surgery
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Provisional Code
Institutional Status Unknown

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collection: School of Medicine Publications
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 50 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Scopus Citation Count Cited 63 times in Scopus Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Mon, 13 Aug 2007, 20:45:05 EST