Time-to-delivery after maternal transfer to a tertiary perinatal centre

Hutchinson, Fiona H. and Davies, Mark W. (2014) Time-to-delivery after maternal transfer to a tertiary perinatal centre. BioMed Research International, 2014 Article ID 325919: . doi:10.1155/2014/325919

Author Hutchinson, Fiona H.
Davies, Mark W.
Title Time-to-delivery after maternal transfer to a tertiary perinatal centre
Journal name BioMed Research International   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 2314-6133
Publication date 2014-01-01
Year available 2014
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1155/2014/325919
Open Access Status DOI
Volume 2014
Issue Article ID 325919
Total pages 6
Place of publication New York, NY United States
Publisher Hindawi Publishing Corporation
Language eng
Abstract Objectives. To determine, in women transferred antenatally for acute admission with high risk pregnancies, the numbers who deliver, the average time from transfer to delivery, and whether the reason for transfer influences the time-to-delivery. Methods. A retrospective analysis of time-to-delivery was performed in a population of women transferred to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, QLD. Data were obtained from the hospital obstetric, neonatal, and admission databases. Results. A total of 941 women were transferred antenatally with high risk pregnancies where delivery was deemed potentially imminent. Of these 821 (87%) delivered at RBWH. The remaining 120 women (13%) were discharged prior to delivery and then delivered elsewhere. Of the 821 maternal transfers that delivered, the median time to delivery was 24.4 hrs. There were 43% who delivered within 24 hours of admission and 29% who either delivered after 7 days or delivered elsewhere. Most transfers for fetal abnormality delivered in the first 24 hours while most transfers for antepartum haemorrhage and preterm prelabour membrane rupture delivered beyond 24 hours. Conclusion. There are significant differences in time-to-delivery following transfer depending on the reason for transfer and many infants transferred in utero will not deliver imminently.
Keyword Biotechnology & Applied Microbiology
Medicine, Research & Experimental
Biotechnology & Applied Microbiology
Research & Experimental Medicine
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Confirmed Code
Institutional Status UQ

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collections: Official 2015 Collection
School of Medicine Publications
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 0 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article
Scopus Citation Count Cited 1 times in Scopus Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 11:56:30 EST by System User on behalf of Paediatrics & Child Health - RBWH