A novel method for preparing immune stimulating complexes (ISCOMs) by hydration of freeze-dried lipid matrix

Liang, M., Toth, I. and Davies, N. M. (2008) A novel method for preparing immune stimulating complexes (ISCOMs) by hydration of freeze-dried lipid matrix. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 68 3: 840-845. doi:10.1016/j.ejpb.2007.11.017


Author Liang, M.
Toth, I.
Davies, N. M.
Title A novel method for preparing immune stimulating complexes (ISCOMs) by hydration of freeze-dried lipid matrix
Journal name European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 0939-6411
1873-3441
Publication date 2008-03-01
Year available 2008
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1016/j.ejpb.2007.11.017
Open Access Status Not Open Access
Volume 68
Issue 3
Start page 840
End page 845
Total pages 6
Editor R. Gurny
Place of publication Amsterdam, Netherlands
Publisher Elsevier BV
Language eng
Subject 111504 Pharmaceutical Sciences
Abstract The purpose of this study was to investigate the application of hydration of freeze-dried lipid monophase matrices as a novel technique to produce immune stimulating complexes (ISCOMs) encapsulating lipopeptides as potential sub-unit antigens. Size, polydispersity and morphology of the resulting colloidal particles were measured and characterized by photon correlation spectroscopy and transmission electron microscopy. The homogeneity of ISCOM preparations produced by this method was found to be influenced by the amount of matrix-forming material as well as the ratio of phospholipid:Quil A:cholesterol used for ISCOM preparation. Further, it was observed that more homogeneous ISCOM dispersions were produced if Quil A was included in the hydrating solution compared to incorporating Quil A in the lipid matrix. Entrapment of lipopeptide within ISCOMs was not affected by chain length (C12–C16) or the number of alkyl chains (1–3) and was greater than 80% when loaded at 5% w/w of total lipid. Entrapment efficiency was noted to decrease dramatically on increasing amount of lipopeptide in the ISCOMs from 5% to 10% of total lipid, decreasing to around 40%. All lipopeptide-loaded ISCOMs were observed to aggregate upon storage.
Keyword Vaccine
ISCOMs
Lipopeptide
Lipid matrix
Lyophilization
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Provisional Code
Institutional Status UQ
Additional Notes Article - Available online 5 December 2007

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collections: School of Pharmacy Publications
Institute for Molecular Bioscience - Publications
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 6 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Scopus Citation Count Cited 6 times in Scopus Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Thu, 03 Sep 2009, 20:08:55 EST by Mr Andrew Martlew on behalf of School of Pharmacy