Ocular media transmission of coral reef fish - can coral reef fish see ultraviolet light?

Siebeck, Ulrike E. and Marshall, N. Justin (2001) Ocular media transmission of coral reef fish - can coral reef fish see ultraviolet light?. Vision Research, 41 2: 133-149. doi:10.1016/S0042-6989(00)00240-6

Author Siebeck, Ulrike E.
Marshall, N. Justin
Title Ocular media transmission of coral reef fish - can coral reef fish see ultraviolet light?
Journal name Vision Research   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 0042-6989
Publication date 2001
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1016/S0042-6989(00)00240-6
Volume 41
Issue 2
Start page 133
End page 149
Total pages 17
Editor W. Baehr
S. Wu
Place of publication Oxford
Publisher Elsevier Science
Collection year 2001
Language eng
Subject C1
270604 Comparative Physiology
270601 Animal Physiology - Biophysics
780105 Biological sciences
111303 Vision Science
Abstract Many coral reef fish are beautifully coloured and the reflectance spectra of their colour patterns may include UVa wavelengths (315-400 nm) that are largely invisible to the human eye (Losey, G. S., Cronin, T. W., Goldsmith, T. H., David, H., Marshall, N. J., & McFarland, W.N, (1999). The uv visual world of fishes: a review. Journal of Fish Biology, 54, 921-943; Marshall, N. J. & Oberwinkler, J. (1999). The colourful world of the mantis shrimp. Nature, 401, 873-874). Before the possible functional significance of UV patterns can be investigated, it is of course essential to establish whether coral reef fishes can see ultraviolet light. As a means of tackling this question, in this study the transmittance of the ocular media of 211 coral reef fish species was measured. It was found that the ocular media of 50.2% of the examined species strongly absorb light of wavelengths below 400 nm, which makes the perception of UV in these fish very unlikely. The remaining 49.8% of the species studied possess ocular media that do transmit UV light, making the perception of UV possible. (C) 2001 Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
Keyword Neurosciences
Ocular Media
Wave Absorbing Pigments
Visual Pigments
Spectral Sensitivity
Oil Droplets
Q-Index Code C1

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collection: School of Biological Sciences Publications
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 86 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Scopus Citation Count Cited 92 times in Scopus Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Tue, 14 Aug 2007, 15:15:10 EST