Cryopreservation of spermatozoa of the barramundi, Lates calcarifer (Teleostei: Centropomidae)

Leung L.K.-P. (1987) Cryopreservation of spermatozoa of the barramundi, Lates calcarifer (Teleostei: Centropomidae). Aquaculture, 64 3: 243-247. doi:10.1016/0044-8486(87)90329-2


Author Leung L.K.-P.
Title Cryopreservation of spermatozoa of the barramundi, Lates calcarifer (Teleostei: Centropomidae)
Journal name Aquaculture   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 0044-8486
Publication date 1987-07-15
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1016/0044-8486(87)90329-2
Volume 64
Issue 3
Start page 243
End page 247
Total pages 5
Subject 1104 Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Abstract Three cryoprotectants, dimethylsulphoxide (DMSO), glycerol and methanol, were tested for their ability to cryopreserve viable sperm from Lates calcarifer. The dilution ratio of milt to diluent was 1:4 (v:v) and the initial freezing rate was 31°C/min. DMSO at a concentration of 5% with either 15% milk powder or 20% egg yolk gave the best results (post-thaw motility of spermatozoa: 70-100% for 7 min). Glycerol gave acceptable results when used at high concentration (20%) with 15% milk poweder. Methanol provided little protection against freezing damage.
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Provisional Code
Institutional Status Unknown

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collection: Scopus Import
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Scopus Citation Count Cited 38 times in Scopus Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Tue, 28 Jun 2016, 07:51:34 EST by System User