Evaluation of intensified behaviour change communication strategies in an artemisinin resistance setting

Canavati, Sara E., de Beyl, Celine Zegers, Ly, Po, Shafique, Muhammad, Boukheng, Thavrin, Rang, Chandary, Whittaker, Maxine Anne, Roca-Feltrer, Arantxa and Sintasath, David (2016) Evaluation of intensified behaviour change communication strategies in an artemisinin resistance setting. Malaria Journal, 15 249: 1-13. doi:10.1186/s12936-016-1276-8


Author Canavati, Sara E.
de Beyl, Celine Zegers
Ly, Po
Shafique, Muhammad
Boukheng, Thavrin
Rang, Chandary
Whittaker, Maxine Anne
Roca-Feltrer, Arantxa
Sintasath, David
Title Evaluation of intensified behaviour change communication strategies in an artemisinin resistance setting
Journal name Malaria Journal   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 1475-2875
Publication date 2016-04-30
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1186/s12936-016-1276-8
Open Access Status DOI
Volume 15
Issue 249
Start page 1
End page 13
Total pages 13
Place of publication London, United Kingdom
Publisher BioMed Central
Collection year 2017
Language eng
Formatted abstract
Background
In Cambodia, behaviour change communication (BCC) represents an integral component of malaria efforts aimed at fighting artemisinin resistant parasites and achieving elimination. The multi-pronged BCC interventions include interpersonal communication through village health volunteers (VHVs) and village malaria workers (VMWs), broadcasting malaria prevention, diagnosis and treatment messages via TV, radio and mobile broadcasting units (MBUs), distributing information education and communication (IEC) materials and introducing mobile malaria workers (MMWs) in endemic villages.

Methods
This was a cross sectional household survey using a stratified multi-stage cluster sampling approach, conducted in December 2012. A stratified multi-stage cluster sampling approach was used; 30 villages were selected (15 in each stratum) and a total of 774 households were interviewed. This survey aimed to assess the potential added effect of ‘intense’ BCC interventions in three Western provinces. Conducted 2 years after start of these efforts, ‘non-intense’ BCC (niBBC) interventions (e.g., radio or TV) were compared to “intense” BCC (iBBC) implemented through a set of interpersonal communication strategies such as VMWs, VHVs, mobile broadcasting units and listener viewer clubs.

Results
In both groups, the knowledge of the mode of malaria transmission was high (96.9 vs 97.2 %; p = 0.83), as well as of fever as a symptom (91.5 vs 93.5 %; p = 0.38). Knowledge of local risk factors, such as staying in the forest (39.7 vs 30.7 %; p = 0.17) or the farm (7.1 vs 5.1 %; p = 0.40) was low in both groups. Few respondents in either group knew that they must get tested if they suspected malaria (0.3 vs 0.1; p = 0.69). However, iBBC increased the discussions about malaria in the family (51.7 vs 35.8 %; p = 0.002) and reported prompt access to treatment in case of fever (77.1 vs 59.4 %; p < 0.01).

Conclusion
The use of iBCC supported positive improvements in both attitudes and behaviours among the population with regard to malaria compared to mass media (niBCC) only. The significantly increase in people seeking treatment for fever in iBCC villages supports Objective Five of the Strategic Plan in the Cambodia Malaria Elimination Action Framework (2016–2020). Therefore, this study provides evidence for the planning and implementation of future BCC interventions to achieve the elimination of artemisinin resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
Keyword Behaviour change communication strategy
Interpersonal communication
Artemisinin resistance
Malaria elimination
Health-seeking behaviour
Cambodia
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Provisional Code
Institutional Status UQ

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collections: HERDC Pre-Audit
School of Public Health Publications
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 2 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Sun, 29 May 2016, 00:18:22 EST by System User on behalf of School of Public Health