Three-year outcome after a 1-month physiotherapy program of local and individualized global treatment for patellofemoral pain followed by self-management

Keays, Susan L., Mason, Marjon and Newcombe, Peter A. (2015) Three-year outcome after a 1-month physiotherapy program of local and individualized global treatment for patellofemoral pain followed by self-management. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, 26 3: 190-198. doi:10.1097/JSM.0000000000000226


Author Keays, Susan L.
Mason, Marjon
Newcombe, Peter A.
Title Three-year outcome after a 1-month physiotherapy program of local and individualized global treatment for patellofemoral pain followed by self-management
Journal name Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 1050-642X
1536-3724
Publication date 2015-07-25
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1097/JSM.0000000000000226
Open Access Status Not Open Access
Volume 26
Issue 3
Start page 190
End page 198
Total pages 9
Place of publication Philadelphia, PA, United States
Publisher Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Collection year 2016
Language eng
Formatted abstract
Objective: The main aim of this study was to assess whether improvements after a 1-month patellofemoral pain (PFP) program addressing local and global deficits were maintained for 3 years.

Design: This prospective cohort study comprised 4 treatment phases including a randomized trial during week 1.

Setting: The study was conducted in a private physiotherapy practice.

Patients: Thirty-seven patients (55 knees) from an original cohort of 41 patients (60 knees) with PFP were followed for 3 years after referral by doctors to participate in this study.

Interventions: Patients received 4 treatments: local treatment focusing on quadriceps strengthening, quadriceps stretching, and taping for fortnight 1, supplemented with individualized global treatment focusing on lower limb posture and movement patterns for fortnight 2, followed by ongoing self-management.

Main Outcome Measures: Seven outcome measures, assessed at 4 time points, were quadriceps strength, quadriceps length, eccentric knee control, and 4 pain measures. Long-term measures included return to sporting activity, pain recurrence, exercise compliance, and Kujala score.

Results: Improvements after fortnight 1 (P < 0.001) and fortnight 2 (P < 0.05) were maintained over 3 years for 6 of 7 measures. On testing, 73% were pain free and the remaining 27% had less pain than pretreatment. Kujala scores improved 27%. Eighty-two percent resumed any sport stopped and 54% of patients started new sports/activities. Patellofemoral pain recurred in 7% and 89% of patients was still exercising 3 years posttreatment.

Conclusions: Significant improvements after physiotherapy, incorporating local and individually targeted treatment, were maintained for 3 years in a compliant cohort.
Keyword Patellofemoral pain
Individualized treatment
Return to sport
Exercise compliance
Patellofemoral subclassification
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Provisional Code
Institutional Status UQ
Additional Notes Published online 25 July 2015

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collections: Official 2016 Collection
School of Psychology Publications
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Scopus Citation Count Cited 0 times in Scopus Article
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Sun, 03 Apr 2016, 09:48:00 EST by Mrs Alison Pike on behalf of School of Psychology