Small cottage on grounds [of Witton, Indooroopilly, Brisbane, Queensland ?], c1880 to 1907

(1880). Small cottage on grounds [of Witton, Indooroopilly, Brisbane, Queensland ?], c1880 to 1907.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview F3475_p0012.tif image/tiff 47.93MB 0
Title Small cottage on grounds [of Witton, Indooroopilly, Brisbane, Queensland ?], c1880 to 1907
Open Access Status Other
Publication date 1880
Year available 2016
Contributor Bogle, Andrew
Series Photograph album of views of "Witton Manor" and the Indooroopilly area, [ca. 1880-ca. 1907], F3475
Type image/tiff
Original Format Album; photograph, sepia; 23 x 28 cm.
Source Photograph album of views of "Witton Manor" and the Indooroopilly area, [ca. 1880-ca. 1907], F3475, page 12
Rights Copyright expired
Formatted Abstract/Summary
Photograph album of views of "Witton Manor" and the Indooroopilly area, [ca. 1880-ca. 1907], F3475 contains 29 pages of sepia photographs (15 x 21 cm and smaller) mounted on boards in a red leather bound album. Views include Winton Manor and estate at Indooroopilly, and roads, bridges, creeks around Indooroopilly; and one photograph of Enoggera. Photographs are not captioned; inscribed inside front cover "Andrew Bogle, owner of Witton Manor, circa 1880-circa 1907".

Indooroopilly was first settled by Europeans in 1860 when Mr H. C. Rawnsley purchased land south of Witton Creek. Rawnsley built the first house in the area, Witton Manor, in 1861, on the site of the present Ambrose Treacy College (formerly Nudgee Junior College). It was later owned by Andrew Bogle. The holding covered an area of over 70 acres with extensive river frontages. In 1886 Bogle established Witton Township and sold land in lots of 5 to 30 acres through auctioneer John W. Todd. By 1891 Witton estate comprised of 25 acres, stables, man’s cottage, a 15-acre grass paddock and a five roomed cottage.

Witton Manor was later owned by Herbert Brealey Hemming, who purchased the property Tighnabruaich in 1904. He moved Witton Manor to the grounds of Tighnabruaich from its original site further upstream at Indooroopilly between 1916 and 1919, and renamed it Witton House. Following Hemming’s death in 1942 the Tighnabruaich properties were administered by Queensland Trustees Limited and was requisitioned for use by the Australian Army. The property was formally transferred to the Commonwealth in 1945 for the use of the Army. In 1967 Witton House was demolished to make way for the new Provost barracks – Witton Barracks.

(Information from Classified Advertising. (1891, February 26). The Brisbane Courier, p. 2. Retrieved February 9, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3522915; Phillips, Peter. & Australia. Defence Housing Authority. (1996). The heritage homes of the Australian Defence Force : one hundred Australian homes and two hundred years of history. Barton, A.C.T : Defence Housing Authority; Todd, John W. (n.d.). Plan of the Witton Township Estate: parish of Indooroopilly. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland http://hdl.handle.net/10462/comp/2630)
Keyword Queensland -- Pictorial works
Indooroopilly (Qld.) -- Pictorial works
Bogle, Andrew
Witton Manor (Brisbane, Qld.)
Geographic co-ordinates

152.964041,-27.506597 152.968290,-27.506597 152.968290,-27.510593 152.964041,-27.510593 152.964041,-27.506597


Document type: Image
Collection: Fryer Library
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Thu, 25 Feb 2016, 09:41:18 EST by Ms Dulcie Stewart on behalf of Fryer Library