Papua New Guinea Association of Australia Collection, UQFL387, Box 9, Folder 5, Parcel 4, image 49
The Papua New Guinea Association of Australia Collection, UQFL387 consists of photographs, typescript articles, correspondence, diaries, notes and ephemera documenting personal experiences of colonial administration and general life in Papua New Guinea. The collection was assembled by Dr Peter Cahill, from material donated by members of the Papua New Guinea Association of Australia.
Handwritten on verso 'The first dredge after a few months work. Note the miles of orderly tailing behind / It is working the river bed first / As you can see the bush has to be cut to make a road for ? Power Line. The fork on the left is when some of the current is transformed to the dredge while the rest goes in the camp & 2nd dredge. As the dredge move it requires longer gangs to clear bush & direct power poles to carry the power cables'.
Bulolo was an important gold dredging centre, situated on the Bulolo River in the Morobe Province. Dredging for gold was begun on 21 March 1932, with the whole of the 1,100 ton dredge (No 1 dredge) transported to the field in pieces by air from the port city of Lae. The largest single part was the main tumbler shaft, 12 feet long and weighing 6,870 pounds. Construction of No 2 dredge was underway before No 1 dredge was completed in October 1932. (Information from 28942, Hubert Archibald Williamson New Guinea Photographs, John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland)
Box 9, Folder 5, Photographs were donated by Josie Wallenius. The folder include photographs of her parents Don and Kath Honeysett in Mandated Territory of New Guinea, where Don was an employee of Bulolo Gold Dredging Ltd. Parcel 4 consists of photographs taken in Bulolo and Baiune on mainland New Guinea and include views of Bulolo Gold Dredging mine, social activities, and locals. The photographs cover the period 1929-1932 approximately.