Marks-Hirschfeld Museum of Medical History, 11/010
The University of Queensland’s Marks-Hirschfeld Museum of Medical History is a collection of medical instruments, medical equipment including furniture, photographs, books, the bibliographic index of Queensland doctors and other medical memorabilia. The Museum's collection is intended to provide a focal point for the study of medical history in Queensland in particular, although many of its holdings are applicable to broader developments within Australia.
The Museum of Medical History was established at the Mayne Medical School, Herston in 1950 with donations of material from Dr Alexander Hammat Marks and Dr John Hardie from the collection of his father Sir David Hardie, Queensland’s first medical knight. The museum was renamed Marks-Hirschfeld Museum of Medical History in 1980. The name honours at least three generations of the Marks family who have made significant contributions to the Museum collection and Dr Konrad Hirschfeld, who made contributions to the substance and maintenance of the Museum for more than two decades as curator.
References: Marks-Hirschfeld Museum of Medical History. (2013). Alumni news, 77, 3. Marks-Hirschfeld Museum of Medical History. (2009). In Trove. Retrieved from http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-781094
Photograph mounted on board. Inscriptions: 'UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND', '2nd YEAR MEDICAL STUDENTS, 1940' and 'Sidney Riley, 246 Queen St, Brisbane'.
Names printed below image: Back row- J. S. Ryder, B. Monz, N. Siemon, C. G. Wilson. Third row- J. Francis, D. H. Lock, R. A. Athertou, J. C. Fraser, D. M. Portley, N. Aroney, J. W. Stacey, W. B. Law, L. J. O'Keefe, C. W. Lankester, F. C. Schwarz, T. N. Chenoweth, J. Howes, K. O'Brien. Second row- R. F. Cilento, P. D. V. Moni, T. Gregg, B. Bruce-Smith, H. M. Brunkhorst, A. Clouston, N. S. Chalk, J. A. D. McGill, L. W. Alderman, J. A. Nye, R. W. Hay, D. S. Clarke-Ryan, R. F. J. Wood, E. E. Schmidt, C. J. Murphy. Front row- K. W. Jacob (Attendant), L. J. Weinbholt, R. M. Ferguson, H. B. Douglas, S. W. Cook, Professor H. J. Wilkinson, Dr. E. S. Meyers, Miss M. Lebanon, Miss L. J. Dunn, N. Grieve, E. Bagnall (Scientific Assistant).
Photograph taken in front of Weightman Street entrance.