Cane-grower's farm (Tekowie [Te Kowie]) near Mackay, [c1874 to 1894]

Smith, James Cossar (1874). Cane-grower's farm (Tekowie [Te Kowie]) near Mackay, [c1874 to 1894].

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview UQFL11_p0043.tif image/tiff 51.03MB 0
Click to show the corresponding preview UQFL11_p0044.tif image/tiff 45.39MB 0
Creator Smith, James Cossar
Title Cane-grower's farm (Tekowie [Te Kowie]) near Mackay, [c1874 to 1894]
Open Access Status Other
Publication date 1874
Year available 2015
Series James Cossar Smith Collection, UQFL11
Type image/tiff
Original Format Album; 1 photograph, sepia; 33 x 27 cm.
Source James Cossar Smith Collection, UQFL11, page 43, 44
Rights Copyright expired
Formatted Abstract/Summary
The album of Photographs, 1900?-1915? are a collection of photographs and photo postcards from the 1880s to the early 1900s by various photographers, most are unknown. Mounted in a brown album, the photographs include views of Queensland people and places and also some of Sydney and Melbourne. The album was donated by J. C. [James Cossar] Smith in 1958.

James Cossar Smith, born 1887 in Queensland, was the son of James Smith and Sophia Rose. He grew up in Brisbane but owing to illness spent most of his time in regional Queensland, at Woombye and Rochedale were he had pineapple farms. He was a process engraver working for Brisbane firms such as Murray Fraser, Watson, Fegurson Ltd. and Jackson & O’Sullivan. While at Jackson & O’Sullivan, Smith process engraved, in colour, William Bustard’s illustrations for the book The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe published in 1949.

James Cossar Smith’s father, James Smith was an amateur photographer. He was born in 1856 at Edinburg, Scotland, son of James Smith and Elizabeth, née Cossar. He married Sophia Rose in 1886 at Brisbane; they had four sons and one daughter. In 1883 James Smith joined the composing department at The Telegraph (Brisbane). In 1894 he was appointed overseer of the mechanical department, a position he held until his retirement in 1919.

James Cossar Smith Collection, UQFL11, Fryer Library, The University of Queensland Library.
Noted printer. (1935, April 29). The Telegraph, p. 2 Edition: City Final Last Minute News. Retrieved from
Obituary: James Cossar Smith. (1962). Queensland naturalist, 16 (5-6), 111-112.
Keyword Smith, James Cossar, 1887-1962
Queensland -- Pictorial works
Mackay (Qld.)
Sugar mills
Plantations -- Queensland
Geographic co-ordinates

149.133757,-21.143766 149.096344,-21.143766 149.096344,-21.215848 149.133757,-21.215848 149.133757,-21.143766

Additional Notes Caption written on reverse of photograph. Showing buildings and chimney in background, with cows and in children in paddock. Te Kowai estate was situated on the banks of the Pioneer River, about five miles from Mackay town along the Nebo Road. Established in 1874 by Thomas Henry Fitzgerald and Albert Throckmorton Ball, it was named after Fitzgerald's estate in New Zealand. Kowai is a Maori name for a small native flower of New Zealand. The sugar mill began crushing in 1874. The Melbourne Mackay Sugar Company took over in 1882, the distillery closed in 1889 and the mill only crushed for short periods after that until it closed permanently in 1894 when it amalgamated with The Palms mill.
Page 44 is blank.
Mackay Sketches. (1878, July 3). Mackay Mercury and South Kennedy Advertiser, p. 2. Retrieved from
Mackay Historical Society/ (n.d.) Te Kowai Sugar Mill 1874-1895. Retrieved from

Title based on caption in album.
Page and photograph numbers assigned by Fryer Library staff.
Pages 7–8, 37–38, 43–44, 51–52, 75–76, 87–88, 97–98, 105–106 inserted to contain loose photographs.
Some pages are blank.

Document type: Image
Collection: Fryer Library
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Tue, 08 Dec 2015, 09:56:19 EST by Ms Dulcie Stewart on behalf of Fryer Library