Union of Australian Women Collection, UQFL193, Box 24, item 38
For all enquiries about this work, please contact the Fryer Library, The University of Queensland Library
The Union of Australian Women was a national organisation, formed in 1950. Its aim was to work for the status and wellbeing of women across the world. It was involved in a wide variety of campaigns that concern women, and networked with other women's community and union groups on such issues. The national branch closed in 1995 and the Queensland branch disbanded in 1999.
Badge with a green background and white next that reads: 'Save Coronation Drive!'
River Road, connecting Brisbane city to Toowong, was renamed Coronation Drive following King George VI's accession to the throne in 1937. As part of the Brisbane City Council's beautification schemes after World War II, Coronation Drive underwent a virtual reconstruction, and was characterised by ornamental footpaths and interval parking bays. However, this particular incarnation of Coronation Drive was challenged by its status as a major arterial road. During the Bjelke-Petersen era and the implementation of the Wilbur Smith plan, Coronation Drive underwent radical change. In the 1970s, the construction of the Riverside Expressway and the widening of Coronation Drive (from 1975) were met with opposition by residents. Later, the development of residential highrises and commercial office buildings between Milton and Toowong would bring further controversy. In the 1970s and 1980s, buoyed by the anti-freeway protest movement, resident action groups were among opponents to the development along Coronation Drive. While the construction of the Bicentennial Bikeway in 1985 mitigated some of these negative developments, traffic congestion and poor pedestrian access issues continued to plague Coronation Drive.