Various views and excavation of ahslar and Eastern Walls and of people at Site A, Kouklia Expedition, Cyprus, 4 to 8 Jul 1953

Iliffe, J. H. (John Henry), 1903-1960 (1953). Various views and excavation of ahslar and Eastern Walls and of people at Site A, Kouklia Expedition, Cyprus, 4 to 8 Jul 1953.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview UQFL514_p4_p15.tif image/tiff 686.54MB 4
Creator Iliffe, J. H. (John Henry), 1903-1960
Title Various views and excavation of ahslar and Eastern Walls and of people at Site A, Kouklia Expedition, Cyprus, 4 to 8 Jul 1953
Open Access Status Other
Publication date 1953-07-03
Year available 2015
Series John Henry Iliffe Collection, UQFL514
Type image/tiff
Original Format Album; b&w; 27 x 39 cm
Source John Henry Iliffe Collection, UQFL514, Parcel 4, page 15
Language eng
Rights For all enquiries about this work, please contact the Fryer Library, The University of Queensland Library
Formatted Abstract/Summary
John Henry ‘Harry’ Iliffe (1903-1960) was a British archaeologist. His significant museum career included posts as head of Classical collections at the Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology, Toronto (1927-1931); the first keeper of the Palestine Archaeological Museum, now the Rockefeller Museum, in Jerusalem (1931-1948); and Director of Museums in Liverpool (1948-1959). His major interest was Near Eastern archaeology, which is reflected in his work on Sigillata Wares and excavations in Cyprus; from which The RD Milns Antiquities Museum at the University of Queensland holds three artefacts. Iliffe was awarded an OBE in 1948; he died in 1960.

The John Henry Iliffe Collection is a collection of photographs, negatives, articles, notes, correspondence, and newspapers cuttings relating to the career and archaeological research of John Henry ‘Harry’ Iliffe.
Keyword Iliffe, J. H. (John Henry), 1903-1960
Mitford, Terence Bruce
Excavations (Archaeology) -- Cyprus – Paphos
Old Paphos (Cyprus) -- Antiquities
Additional Notes
From 1950 to 1955 Iliffe and TB Mitford directed a British archaeological expedition to Kouklia in western Cyprus, jointly sponsored by the University of St Andrews and Liverpool City Museum. Parcel 4 in the John Henry Iliffe Collection is an album of prints taken between 23 June to 6 August 1953 from the Kouklia Expedition, showing excavations and artefacts at Site A-KA Marcello; Site B-KB Hadji Abdullah; Site D-KD Evreti; Site KF; and Site KT.

Description of photographs from the Notebook of the Kouklia Expedition Negative Register (John Henry Iliffe Collection, UQFL514, Box 5):
4K.109: KA. Junction Ahsler & Eastern Walls, from above, 4 July 1953
4K.110: KA. Westface city wall above mouth of tunnel 1. } Panoramic pair, 5 July 1954
4K.111:KA. Westface city wall above mouth of tunnel 1. [} Panoramic pair], 5 July 1954
4K.112: KA. Westface city wall angular view from S., 4 July 1953
4K.113: K.A. Final Section of foss[?] just before re.filling, 6 July 1953
4K.114: K.A. Final Section of foss[?] just before re.filling, 6 July 1953
4K.115: KA. Removing stone block x face wall 7 above mouth of tunnel 1, 7 July 1953
4K.116: KA. Along W. back of foss.[?] from S., 8 July 1953
4K.117: KA. Along W. back of foss.[?] from S., 8 July 1953

Document type: Image
Collection: Fryer Library
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Tue, 26 May 2015, 16:14:14 EST by Ms Dulcie Stewart on behalf of Fryer Library