Excavation at Site A showing Tunnel 1, ashlar wall and people at the site, Kouklia Expedition, Cyprus, 6 to 7 Jul 1953

Iliffe, J. H. (John Henry), 1903-1960 (1953). Excavation at Site A showing Tunnel 1, ashlar wall and people at the site, Kouklia Expedition, Cyprus, 6 to 7 Jul 1953.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview UQFL514_p4_p11.tif image/tiff 688.00MB 2
Creator Iliffe, J. H. (John Henry), 1903-1960
Title Excavation at Site A showing Tunnel 1, ashlar wall and people at the site, Kouklia Expedition, Cyprus, 6 to 7 Jul 1953
Open Access Status Other
Publication date 1953-07-06
Year available 2015
Series John Henry Iliffe Collection, UQFL514
Type image/tiff
Original Format Album; b&w; 27 x 39 cm
Source John Henry Iliffe Collection, UQFL514, Parcel 4, page 11
Rights For all enquiries about this work, please contact the Fryer Library, The University of Queensland Library
Formatted Abstract/Summary
John Henry ‘Harry’ Iliffe (1903-1960) was a British archaeologist. His significant museum career included posts as head of Classical collections at the Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology, Toronto (1927-1931); the first keeper of the Palestine Archaeological Museum, now the Rockefeller Museum, in Jerusalem (1931-1948); and Director of Museums in Liverpool (1948-1959). His major interest was Near Eastern archaeology, which is reflected in his work on Sigillata Wares and excavations in Cyprus; from which The RD Milns Antiquities Museum at the University of Queensland holds three artefacts. Iliffe was awarded an OBE in 1948; he died in 1960.

The John Henry Iliffe Collection is a collection of photographs, negatives, articles, notes, correspondence, and newspapers cuttings relating to the career and archaeological research of John Henry ‘Harry’ Iliffe.
Keyword Iliffe, J. H. (John Henry), 1903-1960
Mitford, Terence Bruce
Excavations (Archaeology) -- Cyprus – Paphos
Old Paphos (Cyprus) -- Antiquities
Additional Notes
From 1950 to 1955 Iliffe and TB Mitford directed a British archaeological expedition to Kouklia in western Cyprus, jointly sponsored by the University of St Andrews and Liverpool City Museum. Parcel 4 in the John Henry Iliffe Collection is an album of prints taken between 23 June to 6 August 1953 from the Kouklia Expedition, showing excavations and artefacts at Site A-KA Marcello; Site B-KB Hadji Abdullah; Site D-KD Evreti; Site KF; and Site KT.

Description of photographs from the Notebook of the Kouklia Expedition Negative Register (John Henry Iliffe Collection, UQFL514, Box 5):
4K.82: KA. Tunnel 1. West entrance, 6 July 1953
4K.83: KA. Section of Mound , 6 July 1953
4K.84: KA. Mound Tunnel 1, shaft, 6 July 1953
4K.85: KA. Mound Tunnel 1, 7 July 1953
4K.86: KA. The shelter tree, 7 July 1953
4K.87: KA. Ashlar wall, K1, 7 July 1953
4K.88: KA. Ashlar wall, K1, 7 July 1953
4K.89: Mrs[?] Atkinson & Donkey ride, 7 July 1953

Document type: Image
Collection: Fryer Library
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Tue, 26 May 2015, 16:14:14 EST by Ms Dulcie Stewart on behalf of Fryer Library