The immunogenicity of intracerebral virus infection depends on anatomical site

Stevenson, P. G., Hawke, S., Sloan, D. J. and Bangham, C. R. M. (1997) The immunogenicity of intracerebral virus infection depends on anatomical site. Journal of Virology, 71 1: 145-151.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
UQ330723_OA.pdf Full text (open access) application/pdf 356.75KB 0
Author Stevenson, P. G.
Hawke, S.
Sloan, D. J.
Bangham, C. R. M.
Title The immunogenicity of intracerebral virus infection depends on anatomical site
Journal name Journal of Virology   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 0022-538X
1098-5514
Publication date 1997-01-01
Year available 1997
Sub-type Article (original research)
Open Access Status File (Publisher version)
Volume 71
Issue 1
Start page 145
End page 151
Total pages 7
Place of publication Washington, DC, United States
Publisher American Society for Microbiology
Language eng
Abstract The brain parenchyma affords immune privilege to tissue grafts, but it is not known whether the same is true for intracerebral viral infections. Using stereotactically guided microinjection, we have confined infection with influenza virus A/NT/60/68 to either the brain parenchyma or the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). A/NT/60/68 infection in the CSF elicited a comparable immune response to intranasal infection, with the production of antiviral serum antibody, priming of antiviral cytotoxic T-cell precursors, and an antiviral proliferative response in the draining lymph nodes. The response to virus in the CSF was detectable sooner after inoculation than the response to intranasal virus and also involved a prolonged production of virus-specific immunoglobulin A in the CSF. In contrast, there was no detectable immune response to virus infection in the brain parenchyma by any of the parameters measured for at least 10 days after inoculation. Over the next 80 days, 46% of the mice given parenchymal virus developed low-level immune responses that did not involve CSF antibody production, while the remaining 54% had no detectable response at any time. Thus, a virus infection confined to the parenchymal substance of the brain primed the immune system inefficiently or not at all.
Keyword Antibody-Secreting Cells
Immune-Response
Cerebrospinal-Fluid
Influenza
Mice
Encephalitis
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Provisional Code
Institutional Status Non-UQ

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collection: School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 74 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Wed, 21 May 2014, 12:29:27 EST by System User on behalf of Scholarly Communication and Digitisation Service