INTRODUCTION AND HISTORICAL
Late in 1918 argentiferous cerussite and galena were found at Finney's Hill, Indooroopilly, about 6 miles from the centre of the City of Brisbane and less than 3 miles from the present site of the University of Queensland at St. Lucia. Several leases were quickly taken up.
During the succeeding eleven years over 227,000 oz of silver and nearly 1, 800 tons of lead, which realized almost £95,000 were recovered. In 1929, production ceased owing to the low price of lead and the exhaustion of known high-grade silver-lead ore.
It is difficult to arrive at an exact figure for the total tonnage of ore mined and treated, but an indication of the average value of the ore is given in Ball's statement (1926, p.10) that “during the twelve months ending 30th June  a total of 32,491 tons of ore (including 3. 033 tons of sulphides) with an assay value of 4. 7 oz silver and 3 .6 per cent lead, was milled”.
Values as high as 24.5 oz silver and 15 per cent lead were encountered in places.
In June 1951 the University of Queensland acquired the mine for undergraduate training in mining; use is also made of it in the training of geology and surveying students, and research into mining and treatment problems has been developed.