In this thesis I set out to develop a small part of a multi-line telephone recording system designed to protect businesses from malicious action.
More specifically, I was to develop a line control module, capable of interfacing to four telephone lines, detecting the status of the lines, transmitting and receiving DTMF tones and receiving Caller ID data. Audio ports were to be included to allow a complementary thesis by Keith Barker to record and playback audio from / to the telephone lines.
My development is able to perform 90% of the required functionality. It correctly interfaces to the line, it can receive Caller ID data and receive and transmit DTMF tones. It can detect when a line is ringing, but is unable to detect if a line is in use.
This does not mean to say that the thesis has been a failure. The hidden goal of this thesis was to learn from the experience of product development. To improve both my design skills and my ability to tackle a real-world problem. In this aspect, my thesis has been nothing but a success.
I have discovered the importance of a consistent method of development. I have increased my ability to think through a problem before beginning to solve the fine details. At the same time I have learnt how one small failure can have global implications.
With these goals in mind, my thesis was a quite successful.