Posterior to the ridge laser treatment for severe stage 3 retinopathy of prematurity

Ells, A. L., Gole, G. A., Hildebrand, P. Lloyd, Ingram, A., Wilson, C. M. and Williams, R. Geoff (2013) Posterior to the ridge laser treatment for severe stage 3 retinopathy of prematurity. Eye, 27 4: 525-530. doi:10.1038/eye.2012.302

Author Ells, A. L.
Gole, G. A.
Hildebrand, P. Lloyd
Ingram, A.
Wilson, C. M.
Williams, R. Geoff
Title Posterior to the ridge laser treatment for severe stage 3 retinopathy of prematurity
Journal name Eye   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 0950-222X
Publication date 2013-04
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1038/eye.2012.302
Volume 27
Issue 4
Start page 525
End page 530
Total pages 6
Place of publication London, United Kingdom
Publisher Nature Publishing
Collection year 2014
Language eng
Formatted abstract
Background: Current methods of treating the avascular retina with laser photocoagulation for severe retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) are not completely effective in the reduction of visual morbidity. We report a case series in which additional laser treatment, called 'posterior laser', was delivered posterior to the neovascular ridge, for eyes with severe stage 3 ROP in zone II with avascular retina posterior to the ridge.

Design: Retrospective chart review.

Participants: Infants who underwent laser treatment, posterior to the neovascular ridge for severe ROP at the Alberta Children's Hospital, between January 2005 and October 2008.

Methods: Charts were reviewed for 18 eyes of 11 patients and collected information included demographic data, clinical examination results, and digital retinal images.

Main Outcome Measures: Structural and functional outcomes of treatment.

Four (22%) of 18 eyes received 'posterior laser' as primary treatment and the remainder of eyes (78%) received 'posterior laser' following previous laser photocoagulation anterior to the neovascular ridge. Mean birthweight was 688 g (552-930) and mean gestational age was 24 weeks (23-28). There were no complications because of the posterior laser treatment. In all, 16 of 18 eyes experienced rapid regression of the ridge and subsequent decrease in vascular dilation and tortuosity within 1 week. Two eyes required vitrectomy for 4A retinal detachment; however, no eyes developed stage 4B ROP.

Conclusion: Posterior to the ridge laser in the setting of the morphological criteria described had no increased safety concerns and resulted in rapid regression of ROP with good outcomes.
Keyword Laser photocoagulation
Neovascular ridge
Posterior laser treatment
Retinopathy of prematurity
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Confirmed Code
Institutional Status UQ

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collections: Official 2014 Collection
School of Medicine Publications
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 7 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Scopus Citation Count Cited 9 times in Scopus Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Sun, 26 May 2013, 02:21:34 EST by System User on behalf of School of Medicine