This thesis is an investigation of surface charge accumulation and the role it plays in surface flashover. Most predominantly this thesis has investigated the role surface charge accumulation has on surface flashover of an XLPE insulated conductor.
In brief it was found that
- Surface charge does occur on XLPE insulation.
- Surface charge accumulation is greatest when a withstand voltage is applied.
- There is very little surface charge accumulation when a flashover occurs, this indicates that a flashover neutralises most of the accumulated charge.
- Surface charge accumulation served to increase the flashover voltage.
- The breakdown voltages were much greater for an air gap set-up than the flashover voltages for the insulated conductor set-up.