Aerial view towards renovation of Saint Stephen's Cathedral, Elizabeth Street, Brisbane

De Gruchy, Graham Francis. Aerial view towards renovation of Saint Stephen's Cathedral, Elizabeth Street, Brisbane.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Slide_021.tif image/tiff 51.98MB 14
Title Aerial view towards renovation of Saint Stephen's Cathedral, Elizabeth Street, Brisbane
Alternative Title Saint Stephen's Cathedral
Date of construction Constructed 1864-1922, renovated 1988-1989
Date photo taken 1978
Date scanned 2012-11-26
Architect Backhouse, Benjamin Joseph, 1829-1904
Gibson, Robin, 1930-2014
Photographer De Gruchy, Graham Francis
Contributor Suter, Richard George, 1827-1894
Location 249 Elizabeth Street, Brisbane, Queensland
Open Access Status Other
Category Religious buildings
Subcategory Cathedrals
Period Victorian (1840-1890)
Style English Gothic Revivial
Academic Gothic
Condition Renovated
Structural Systems & Elements Masonry construction
Building Materials Corrugated iron
Architectural Features Gable hipped roofs
Surrounding Features Scaffolding
Roads and streets
Buildings, structures and establishments
Ground vehicles
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Graham Francis De Gruchy.
References Art Forms in Brisbane C
Additional Notes 'St Stephen's Cathedral was opened on 17 May 1874, superseding Old St Stephen's, which still stands alongside it. A Gothic Revival building built of porphyry and freestone, the new Cathedral was built in stages: The foundation stone was laid in 1863, with the intention of constructing a grand building to the design of architect Benjamin Backhouse. With the economic crisis of the 1860s, work on the building ceased in 1864, and when construction was resumed in 1870, it was to a smaller and simplified design by the Brisbane architect, R. George Suter. Two sandstone towers were added in 1884, and the sacristy and simple transepts were added in 1922. Archbishop James Duhig planned for a completely new Holy Name Cathedral (opposite All Hallows' Convent), for which the foundation stone was laid in September 1928, but these plans never proceeded. Instead, St Stephen's was extensively renovated in 1988-89 under the direction of Brisbane architect, Robin Gibson. At this time, three new chapels were added at the east end, the gallery was removed from the west end, and the original towers (which had already been removed) were replaced.'

Document type: Digilib Image
Collections: UQ Library - Digitised Materials - open access
Art Forms in Brisbane
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Fri, 01 Feb 2013, 15:41:18 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Research Information Service