View of Alden family home 'Merleton', Rosebery Terrace, Chelmer, Brisbane

(). View of Alden family home 'Merleton', Rosebery Terrace, Chelmer, Brisbane.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview UQFL477_b2_pic105a.tif image/tiff 13.27MB 0
Title View of Alden family home 'Merleton', Rosebery Terrace, Chelmer, Brisbane
Open Access Status Other
Year available 2011
Series Fryer Library Photograph Collection, UQFL477
Type image/tiff
Original Format Photograph; b&w; 13 x 9 cm.
Source Fryer Library Photograph Collection, UQFL477, Box 2, PIC105a
Rights Copyright expired
Abstract/Summary The Fryer Library Photograph Collection is a collection of approximately 900 photographs, mostly black and white, some sepia. Photographs mostly relating to Queensland people and places, but including interstate and overseas photographs. Includes photographs of Australian authors, the 1893 Brisbane floods, and Mornington Island (Queensland). There are also a number of photographs of Papua New Guinea which were originally in the Beazley collection (UQFL271).
Keyword Queensland -- Pictorial works
Brisbane (Qld.) -- Pictorial works
Alden, Charles Lubiseh
Chelmer (Brisbane, Qld.)
Dwellings -- Queensland -- Brisbane
Timber houses
Geographic co-ordinates

152.978683,-27.507468 152.973890,-27.507468 152.973890,-27.511247 152.978683,-27.511247 152.978683,-27.507468

Additional Notes ‘Merleton’ was originally part of 27 acres owned by Gilbert Primrose at what is now part of Roseberry Terrace in Chelmer. When Primrose purchased the property from Mr Sweets, he named the old station like home ‘Primrose House’. His wife, Jessie (née Costelloe) later changed it to ‘Bronte’. The original house was an oblong building with a verandah extending three parts the way around it, and a kitchen wing projecting from one side of it towards the northern end. The house faced east and overlooked the Brisbane River. Primrose built a four-roomed cottage with a verandah surrounding it on three sides, the side without a verandah was attached to the verandah of the main house.

Around 1908 Arnold Wienholt purchased the property from Primrose and later handed over the property to his cousin Daniel Wienholt. After his death in 1919, Daniel’s wife Joan (née) King sold parts of the property to Mr Kilroe. Joan Wienholt moved her small property, the cottage that had been built onto the original house by Primrose and kept the name ‘Bronte’ for her home.

Mr Kilroe moved the kitchen portion of the original house onto the allotment next to that retained by Joan Wienholt. By 1932 the house had been extended and was owned by A. D. Goodsir.

The main part of the original house, with half an acre or more of land attached to it, was purchased by Charles L. Alden from Mr Kilroe. Alden closed in the western-side verandah which formed another room and a kitchenette. He renamed the house ‘Merleton’.

Reference: BRISBANE'S HISTORIC HOMES. (1932, September 8). The Queenslander, p. 28, 34. Retrieved from

Document type: Image
Collection: Fryer Library
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Fri, 14 Oct 2011, 11:27:59 EST by Rose Wade on behalf of Fryer Library