Nicotine withdrawal symptoms in adolescent and adult twins

Pergadia, Michele L., Agrawal, Arpana, Heath, Andrew C., Martin, Nicholas G., Bucholz, Kathleen K. and Madden, Pamela A. F. (2010) Nicotine withdrawal symptoms in adolescent and adult twins. Twin Research And Human Genetics, 13 4: 359-369. doi:10.1375/twin.13.4.359

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
UQ239419_authaffil_staffdata_Martin.pdf HERDC evidence - not publicly available application/pdf 491.94KB 5

Author Pergadia, Michele L.
Agrawal, Arpana
Heath, Andrew C.
Martin, Nicholas G.
Bucholz, Kathleen K.
Madden, Pamela A. F.
Title Nicotine withdrawal symptoms in adolescent and adult twins
Journal name Twin Research And Human Genetics   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 1832-4274
Publication date 2010-08
Sub-type Article (original research)
DOI 10.1375/twin.13.4.359
Volume 13
Issue 4
Start page 359
End page 369
Total pages 11
Place of publication Bowen Hills, QLD, Australia
Publisher Australian Academic Press
Collection year 2011
Language eng
Abstract We examined the variation and heritability of DSM-IV nicotine withdrawal (NW) in adult and adolescent male and female twin cigarette smokers (who reported smoking 100 or more cigarettes lifetime). Telephone diagnostic interviews were completed with 3,112 Australian adult male and female smokers (53% women; age: 24-36) and 702 Missouri adolescent male and female smokers (59% girls; age: 15-21). No gender or cohort differences emerged in rates of meeting criteria for NW (44%). Latent class analyses found that NW symptoms were best conceptualized as a severity continuum (three levels in adults and two levels in adolescents). Across all groups, increasing NW severity was associated with difficulty quitting, impairment following cessation, heavy smoking, depression, anxiety, conduct disorder and problems with alcohol use. NW was also associated with seeking smoking cessation treatment and with smoking persistence in adults. The latent class structure of NW was equally heritable across adult and adolescent smokers with additive genetic influences accounting for 49% of the variance and the remaining 51% of variance accounted for by unique environmental influences. Overall, findings suggest remarkable similarity in the pattern and heritability of NW across adult and adolescent smokers, and highlight the important role of NW in psychiatric comorbidity and the process of smoking cessation across both age groups. Copyright © Australian Academic Press 2011 All Rights Reserved.
Keyword Adolescents
Nicotine withdrawal
Q-Index Code C1
Q-Index Status Confirmed Code
Institutional Status UQ

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collections: Official 2011 Collection
School of Medicine Publications
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 14 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Scopus Citation Count Cited 16 times in Scopus Article | Citations
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Tue, 29 Mar 2011, 13:19:49 EST by Debbie Banks on behalf of School of Medicine