Anzac Square, Brisbane

Keniger, Michael, 1947-. Anzac Square, Brisbane.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview AnzacSquare.tif AnzacSquare.tif image/tiff 28.42MB 215
Title Anzac Square, Brisbane
Abstract/Summary Anzac Square is a State memorial to those who participated in overseas armed service campaigns and the site for major commemorative occasions. It occupies an area of more than .5 of a hectare between Ann and Adelaide Streets. The Square is formally arranged. From a small stone wall edged by formal gardens on Adelaide Street, three paths, separated by lawns and mature trees, converge on a large elevated Shrine, standing approximately 7m high, at Ann Street. These paths represent the three branches of the armed forces, Army, Navy and Air Force. The equestrian memorial of the South African War dominates the entry to the central path at Adelaide Street. A life-size bronzed statue, it depicts a Queensland Mounted Infantryman. On two sides of the trachyte pedestal large bronze plaques contain the names of the eighty-nine Queensland soldiers who lost their lives in the South African war. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 8 November 2010, from www.epa.qld.gov.au
Date of construction 1928-1988
Date photo taken 1996
Date scanned 2010-11-05
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947-
Location Adelaide Street, Brisbane, Queensland
Ann Street, Brisbane, Queensland
Australia
Open Access Status Other
Category Monuments & memorials
Bridges
Subcategory Statues
War memorials
Pedestrian bridges
Condition Original
Structural Systems & Elements Concrete construction
Masonry construction
Piers (supporting elements)
Building Materials Bronze
Concrete
Sandstone
Stone
Trachyte
Architectural Features Concrete paths
Lamps
Sandstone walls
Steps
Surrounding Features Bottle trees
Palm trees
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger.
References www.epa.qld.gov.au
Additional Notes In 1928 a competition for the design of a Shrine of remembrance was won by Sydney architects Buchanan and Cowper. On Armistice Day 11 November 1930 the Governor Sir John Goodwin dedicated the Shrine and the Square. In 1932 the Queensland Womens War Memorial was unveiled. It was designed and executed by Daphne Mayo with assistance from George Harvey. A memorial commissioned by the 9th Battalion (AIF) Association was mounted in the Crypt and unveiled by the Governor-General Lord Gowrie on 17 August 1937. It was undertaken by former Brisbane sculptor W Leslie Bowles. In 1939 a memorial commemorating Queenslanders who served in the South Africa conflict 1899-1902 was relocated to the Square. This memorial, featuring a fully equipped mounted trooper originally stood near the intersection of Turbot and Edward Streets. It was designed by James Watts and sat on a pedestal constructed by local firm Lowther & Sons. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 8 November 2010, from www.epa.qld.gov.au

Document type: Digilib Image
Collections: UQ Library - Digitised Materials - open access
Brisbane City
 
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Fri, 05 Nov 2010, 15:45:07 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Architecture and Music Library