Improved quality of life following unilateral laparoscopic adrenalectomy in patients with unilateral primary aldosteronism

Sukor, N., Kogovsek, C., Gordon, R. D., Robson, D. and Stowasser, M. (2010). Improved quality of life following unilateral laparoscopic adrenalectomy in patients with unilateral primary aldosteronism. In: John E. Hall, Hypertension. Abstracts from the 31st Annual Scientific Meeting of the High Blood Pressure Research Council of Australia. HBPRCA 2009 ASM: 31st Annual Scientific Meeting of the High Blood Pressure Research Council of Australia, Sydney, NSW, Australia, (1509-1510). 1-3 December 2009. doi:10.1161/HYP.0b013e3181df4279


Author Sukor, N.
Kogovsek, C.
Gordon, R. D.
Robson, D.
Stowasser, M.
Title of paper Improved quality of life following unilateral laparoscopic adrenalectomy in patients with unilateral primary aldosteronism
Conference name HBPRCA 2009 ASM: 31st Annual Scientific Meeting of the High Blood Pressure Research Council of Australia
Conference location Sydney, NSW, Australia
Conference dates 1-3 December 2009
Proceedings title Hypertension. Abstracts from the 31st Annual Scientific Meeting of the High Blood Pressure Research Council of Australia   Check publisher's open access policy
Journal name Hypertension   Check publisher's open access policy
Place of Publication Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.
Publisher Lippincott Williams & Wilkins for the American Heart Association
Publication Year 2010
Year available 2009
Sub-type Published abstract
DOI 10.1161/HYP.0b013e3181df4279
ISSN 0194-911X
1524-4563
0073-425X
Editor John E. Hall
Volume 55
Issue 6
Start page 1509
End page 1510
Total pages 2
Language eng
Formatted Abstract/Summary
For patients with unilateral primary aldosteronism (PAL), unilateral laparoscopic adrenalectomy (ADX) corrects hypokalemia and leads to cure or improvement in hypertension control. While most studies have focused on clinical and biochemical outcomes, to our knowledge there are no data on the effects of ADX on quality of life (QOL). In the current study, QOL was evaluated prospectively using the SF-36 questionnaire before and 3 and 6 months after ADX in 22 patients [14 males, 8 females; mean age 50.0±2.0 SEM (range 27–69) years] with unilateral PAL who underwent ADX at the Endocrine Hypertension Centre, Greenslopes and Princess Alexandra Hospitals from 2007 through 2008. Pre-operatively, the SF36 score for each QOL domain was lower for unilateral PAL patients than reported for the Australian general population, significantly so for physical functioning (P<0.001), role physical (P<0.001), vitality (P<0.001) and general health (P<0.01). Compared with pre-ADX, there were significant increments in mean scores at 3 months for physical functioning (from 77±21 to 84±24, P<0.05), role physical (63±41 to 84±31, P<0.05), vitality (45±20 to 65±16, P<0.001), general health (65±19 to 76±18, P<0.001), role emotional (73±38 to 96±16, P<0.05), social functioning (P<0.05) and mental health (72±13 to 82±11, P<0.001); and at 6 months for physical functioning (83±27, P<0.05), role physical (83±31, P<0.05), vitality (67±14, P<0.001), general health (75±20, P<0.05), role emotional (92±20, P<0.05) and mental health (80±16, P<0.05). At both 3 and 6 months the scores in each of the eight domains rose to reach those of the normal population. Mean SBP and DBP improved significantly (P<0.001), with 86% of these patients cured of hypertension (BP≥140/90, no drugs) and the remaining 14 % improved. Mean plasma potassium (P<0.001) and renin concentration (P<0.01) rose, whereas mean upright plasma aldosterone, aldosterone/renin ratio and number of antihypertensive agents fell (P<0.001). In conclusion, (1) QOL is impaired in patients with unilateral PAL, and (2) ADX has positive impacts not only on clinical and biochemical parameters but also on QOL, with significant QOL improvement observed as early as 3 months post-ADX and persisting at 6 months.
Subjects 1103 Clinical Sciences
Q-Index Code EX
Q-Index Status Confirmed Code
Institutional Status UQ
Additional Notes Published June 1, 2010. Published as Abstract 083.

Document type: Conference Paper
Collections: Non HERDC
School of Medicine Publications
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 0 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Sun, 29 Aug 2010, 00:06:00 EST