Woodstock House, Maryborough

Keniger, Michael, 1947-. Woodstock House, Maryborough.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Maryborough_353.tif Click to show the corresponding preview/stream image/tiff 31.88MB 54
Title Woodstock House, Maryborough
Alternative Title Queensland National Bank; Burrum Shire Council Chambers
Abstract/Summary Woodstock House was constructed as the Queensland National Bank in 1914-15. After the practice of the day, the ground floor held the banking chamber and offices and the upper a residence. Following various bank mergers the bank buildings became surplus to requirements and in 1966 the building was sold to the Burrum Shire Council for use as their council chambers. The Burrum Shire Council was formally decommissioned in 1976 and the building was sold into private ownership and is now used for office and other commercial tenancies. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 28 July 2008, from www.epa.qld.gov.au
Date photo taken 1979
Date scanned 2006-12-07
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Architect Faircloth, Frederic Herbert, c.1870-1925
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947-
Location Richmond Street, Maryborough, Queensland
Kent Street, Maryborough, Queensland
Australia
Category Commercial
Government
Streetscapes
Subcategory Bank buildings
Commercial buildings
Office buildings
Council chambers
Main streets
Period Federation (1890-1915)
Style Academic classical
Condition Renovated
Structural Systems & Elements Masonry construction
Timber construction
Columns
Building Materials Rendered brick
Timber
Weatherboard
Corrugated iron
Concrete
Architectural Features Two-storey
Aedicules
Arches
Balustrades
Corner sites
Cornices
Dentils
Facades
Louvres
Parapets
Pilasters
Architraves
Entablatures
Capitals
Bays
Rights Rights: Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger.
Additional Notes Situated on the Mary River, Maryborough is one of Queensland’s oldest cities. It lies approximately 260km north of Brisbane, inland from Fraser Island. Settled in 1847 and proclaimed a City in 1905, Maryborough was the port for wool, timber and sugar industries, and the supply centre for the Gympie goldfields. Many of Australia’s free settlers entered the colony through the Port of Maryborough between 1859 and 1901. Maryborough's industrial base, although diversified today, still retains the original industries of engineering, sugar and timber. Maryborough has the state’s largest number of original Queenslanders, many lovingly restored to their former glory. Much of the city's character has been preserved in its classic buildings, mostly built of local timber in a range of sizes and designs.

Document type: Digilib Image
Collection: Queensland Country Towns
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Access Statistics: 63 Abstract Views, 56 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
Created: Mon, 07 Jun 2010, 11:59:39 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Architecture and Music Library