View of the Biological Sciences Building (Goddard) under construction, showing workers, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, [1956 to 1962]

(1956). View of the Biological Sciences Building (Goddard) under construction, showing workers, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, [1956 to 1962].

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview uqfl466_b4_AC_P_77a.tif image/tiff 11.14MB 3
Title View of the Biological Sciences Building (Goddard) under construction, showing workers, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, [1956 to 1962]
Open Access Status Other
Publication date 1956
Year available 2010
Series Fryer Library University of Queensland Photograph Collection, UQFL466
Type image/tiff
Original Format Photographs; b&w.
Source Fryer Library University of Queensland Photograph Collection UQFL466, Box 4, AC/P/77
Rights Copyright expired
Formatted Abstract/Summary
Fryer Library University of Queensland Photograph Collection, UQFL466 consist of approximately 1100 photographs relating to the University of Queensland.
Photographs have been arranged in the following series:
• AA: University of Queensland site at George Street
• AB: St Lucia site before the establishment of the University of Queensland
• AC: Buildings and grounds of the University of Queensland
• AD: University of Queensland St Lucia campus buildings other than Great Court
• AE: University of Queensland Non St Lucia Campus Buildings
• AF: University of Queensland grounds
• AG: University of Queensland Library
• AH: University of Queensland ceremonies
• AI: Research, teaching, business, cultural and support facilities of the University of Queensland
• AJ: University of Queensland students
• AK: University of Queensland Alumni (including ceremonies)
• AL: Staff, benefactors and official associates of the University of Queensland
• AM: University of Queensland sports
• AP: University of Queensland honour boards, plaques, etc.
Keyword University of Queensland -- History
University of Queensland. Goddard Building
University of Queensland -- Buildings
Building construction
University of Queensland. Great Court
Geographic co-ordinates

153.011658,-27.497575 153.012694,-27.497575 153.012694,-27.498436 153.011658,-27.498436 153.011658,-27.497575

Additional Notes The construction of the Biological Sciences Building, later named after Professor E.J. Goddard, Professor of Biology from 1923 to 1948, began in 1956 and was completed in 1962. During construction various departments moved into the building, the Agriculture Department in 1959, the Zoology Department in 1960 and the final departments, Botany and Entomology moved in 1961. The building was officially opened on July 8, 1962. (Information from Pascoe, B., & University of Queensland. Media Information Services. (1992). A guide to the Great Court (Rev. & updated ed.). St. Lucia, Qld.: University of Queensland Press; East, J. W. (2014). No mean plans: designing the Great Court at the University of Queensland. Brisbane: John W. East)

Document type: Image
Collection: Fryer Library
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Tue, 16 Feb 2010, 11:20:23 EST by Ms Julie Schofield on behalf of Fryer Library