Paralysis caused by "nagging"

Cartner, Michaela, Sinnott, Michael and Silburn, Peter (2007) Paralysis caused by "nagging". Medical Journal of Australia, 187 6: 366-367.


Author Cartner, Michaela
Sinnott, Michael
Silburn, Peter
Title Paralysis caused by "nagging"
Formatted title
Paralysis caused by “nagging”
Journal name Medical Journal of Australia   Check publisher's open access policy
ISSN 0025-729X
1326-5377
Publication date 2007-09-17
Sub-type Article (original research)
Volume 187
Issue 6
Start page 366
End page 367
Total pages 2
Place of publication Sydney, Australia
Publisher Australasian Medical Publishing Company
Language eng
Subject 11 Medical and Health Sciences
1103 Clinical Sciences
Formatted abstract
A woman in her 20s presented to the emergency department, malnourished and dehydrated, and with acute paralysis of the lower limbs. Over the previous 10 days, she had inhaled nitrous oxide from “whipped-cream bulbs” (10–20 per day) for pain caused by a sprained ankle. She had a history of intravenous drug use and was on a methadone program. The nitrous oxide misuse combined with the malnutrition, with low vitamin B12 levels, apparently resulted in subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord — a rare complication of nitrous oxide misuse.
©The Medical Journal of Australia 2007

Keyword Malnutrition
Nitrous oxide
Paralysis
Spinal cord diseases
Intravenous substance abuse
Substance-related disorders
Vitamin B12 deficiency
B12
Nagging
Nanging
Q-Index Code C1
Additional Notes Published under "Notable Cases".

Document type: Journal Article
Sub-type: Article (original research)
Collections: Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) - Collection
School of Medicine Publications
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: TR Web of Science Citation Count  Cited 10 times in Thomson Reuters Web of Science Article | Citations
Scopus Citation Count Cited 0 times in Scopus Article
Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Fri, 15 Jan 2010, 12:03:18 EST by Jon Swabey on behalf of Faculty Of Health Sciences