Wolston House before restoration, 223 Grindle Road, Wacol, c1960 to 197?

(1960). Wolston House before restoration, 223 Grindle Road, Wacol, c1960 to 197?.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview UQFL477_b1_pic001.tif image/tiff 37.12MB 0
Title Wolston House before restoration, 223 Grindle Road, Wacol, c1960 to 197?
Open Access Status Other
Publication date 1960-01-01
Year available 2010
Series Fryer Library Photograph Collection, UQFL477
Type image/tiff
Original Format 3 photographs; b&w.
Source Fryer Library Photograph Collection, UQFL477, Box 1, PIC1
Rights Please contact the Fryer Library, University of Queensland Library to inquire about this work.
Abstract/Summary The Fryer Library Photograph Collection is a collection of approximately 900 photographs, mostly black and white, some sepia. Photographs mostly relating to Queensland people and places, but including interstate and overseas photographs. Includes photographs of Australian authors, the 1893 Brisbane floods, and Mornington Island (Queensland). There are also a number of photographs of Papua New Guinea which were originally in the Beazley collection (UQFL271).
Keyword Queensland -- Pictorial works
Wolston House (Qld.) -- History
Historic buildings -- Australia
Houses -- Queensland
National Trust of Queensland
Queensland Heritage Register
Geographic co-ordinates

152.901449,-27.571287 152.904196,-27.571287 152.904196,-27.573873 152.901449,-27.573873 152.901449,-27.571287

Additional Notes Wolston House at 223 Grinder Road, Wacol, Quensland comprises the homestead and garden from the Wolston Estate, a large pastoral property originally established by Dr Stephen Simpson in 1852 and extended during the 1860s by Matthew Goggs. After various owners, the Department of Agriculture and Stock resumed the property to establish a tick research centre in 1960. They demolished the farm outbuildings and intended to demolish the homestead also, however this was saved following an intensive campaign by the Women's Historical Society, the Historical Society and the newly formed National Trust of Queensland. In 1965, the house was transferred to the National Trust and became their first property.

Document type: Image
Collection: Fryer Library
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Wed, 21 Oct 2009, 18:30:20 EST by Rose Wade on behalf of Fryer Library