Axon building

University of Queensland, Office of Marketing and Communications (1964). Axon building. The University of Queensland.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview S909_p393.jpg S909 p393.JPG image/jpeg 527.04KB 371
Creator University of Queensland, Office of Marketing and Communications
Title Axon building
Publisher The University of Queensland
Open Access Status Other
Publication date 1964-10
Series Photographs of the Office of Marketing and Communications
Type Image/Jpeg
Original Format Photograph
Source University of Queensland Archives, UQA S909 p393
Language eng
Rights This image is in Copyright, please contact University of Queensland Archives for further information, email; archives@uq.edu.au
Subject 430100 Historical Studies
Abstract/Summary The Axon building opened in 1964 and was known as the Electrical Engineering building before being renamed for Sir Albert Axon.
Keyword University of Queensland
University of Queensland - Buildings
University of Queensland - History
University of Queensland - Engineering
electrical engineering
Axon building
Additional Notes Albert Axon engineer, businessman and university chancellor, was born on 21 December 1898 at New Farm, Brisbane. He was educated at the Normal State School, Brisbane, and Brisbane Grammar School (1912-16). Outstanding in football, gymnastics and rowing, he was a prefect in his final year and topped the open scholarship examinations for entry to the University of Queensland. Axon worked in England, Switzerland and the United States of America, studying the design, manufacture and testing of electrical generating and transmission equipment. On his return to Brisbane in 1926, he joined the consulting engineer A. E. Harding Frew and took charge of the firm's electrical and mechanical department. In 1948 he established A. E. Axon & Associates. During the years when towns had separate electricity authorities, the firm handled the design and supervised the installation of power stations and distribution systems. Axon had a long association with the University of Queensland. Actively involved with the Men Graduates' Association from 1926, he was a member of the Senate in 1935-66 and chairman (1956) of the buildings and grounds committee. He was elected chancellor in 1957 and held that position until ill health forced his retirement in 1966. His nine years in office saw accelerated expansion within the university, considerable expenditure on the development of the St Lucia site and sweeping changes in the methods of administration. [Taken from the website Australian Dictionary of Biography: http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130103b.htm on 17 July 2009]

Document type: Image
Collection: University of Queensland Archives
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Created: Fri, 17 Jul 2009, 15:56:41 EST by Mr Bruce Ibsen on behalf of University of Queensland Archives