Best & Less, Townsville

Keniger, Michael, 1947. Best & Less, Townsville.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Townsville_497.tif Click to show the corresponding preview/stream image/tiff 26.96MB 195
Title Best & Less, Townsville
Alternative Title Flinders Street Mall, Townsville
Abstract/Summary In September 1901 commercial developer Henry Abbott commissioned Queensland architects Eaton, Bates & Polin to design a combined commercial and warehouse facility which was built by Townsville builder Thomas Page. Henlein & Co, wine and spirits merchants were the first tenants. In 1976 Best & Less Pty Ltd purchased the building. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 11 May 2009, from www.epa.qld.gov.au
Date of construction 1901-1902
Date photo taken 1979
Date scanned 2006-07-12
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Architect Eaton, Bates & Polin
Bates, Albert Edmund, 1867-1929
Eaton, George T.
Polin, Arthur B.
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947
Location Flinders Street, Townsville, Queensland
Australia
Category Commercial
Streetscapes
Sports & recreations establishments
Subcategory Department stores
Shops
Main streets
Shopfronts
Recreation and sports
Period Federation (1890-1915)
Style Free classical
Condition Renovated
Structural Systems & Elements Masonry construction
Building Materials Brick
Concrete
Rendered brick
Architectural Features Arched windows
Awnings
Cornices
Facades
Ornaments
Parapets
Pediments
Pilasters
Two-storey
Surrounding Features Pedestrian malls
Playground equipment
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger.
Additional Notes Townsville was established in 1864 by John Melton Black and Robert Towns and was gazetted as a port of entry in 1865. In 1866 the Municipality of Townsville was declared. It became the centre of substantial and continuous growth, particularly with the discovery of five major goldfields in the vicinity. By 1880 Townsville was the port for these goldfields and the first stage of the railway line westwards through Charters Towers and beyond had opened, consolidating its importance as a port and mercantile centre. Today Townsville is the main city in far north Queensland. Many of the shops and stores in Flinders Mall, a palm-fringed shopping precinct in the city centre, are housed within restored historic buildings. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 16 March 2009, from www.epa.qld.gov.au

Document type: Digilib Image
Collection: Queensland Country Towns
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Access Statistics: 345 Abstract Views, 205 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
Created: Mon, 23 Mar 2009, 17:01:15 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Architecture and Music Library