Bandstand, ANZAC Memorial Park, Townsville

Keniger, Michael, 1947. Bandstand, ANZAC Memorial Park, Townsville.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Townsville_489.tif image/tiff 27.89MB 821
Title Bandstand, ANZAC Memorial Park, Townsville
Abstract/Summary ANZAC Memorial Park contains a number of memorials to events or persons of significance in Townsville's history, including this Bandstand. It is a finely detailed structure that reflects the tradition of constructing public buildings in a classical style. The principal original elements of the composition are intact. Initially, the Bandstand was located opposite the main entrance gates to the park. It was relocated to the eastern end of the park when the Queensland Centenary Fountain was constructed on the same site in 1959. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 6 April 2009, from www.epa.qld.gov.au
Date of construction 1913
Date photo taken 1979
Date scanned 2006-07-12
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Architect Polin, Arthur B.
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947
Location ANZAC Memorial Park, The Strand, Townsville, Queensland
Australia
Category Sports & recreations establishments
Subcategory Bandstands
Parks
Period Federation (1890-1915)
Style Filigree
Condition Restored
Structural Systems & Elements Brackets
Masonry construction
Posts (structural elements)
Timber construction
Building Materials Brick
Cast iron
Corrugated iron
Rendered brick
Timber
Architectural Features Cast iron balustrades
Columns
Corrugated iron roofs
Entablatures
Elevated
Filigree
Finials
Pyramidal roofs
Steps
Timber posts
Surrounding Features Palm trees
Parks
Shade trees
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger.
Additional Notes Townsville was established in 1864 by John Melton Black and Robert Towns and was gazetted as a port of entry in 1865. In 1866 the Municipality of Townsville was declared. It became the centre of substantial and continuous growth, particularly with the discovery of five major goldfields in the vicinity. By 1880 Townsville was the port for these goldfields and the first stage of the railway line westwards through Charters Towers and beyond had opened, consolidating its importance as a port and mercantile centre. Today Townsville is the main city in far north Queensland. Many of the shops and stores in Flinders Mall, a palm-fringed shopping precinct in the city centre, are housed within restored historic buildings. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 16 March 2009, from www.epa.qld.gov.au

Document type: Digilib Image
Collection: Queensland Country Towns
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Access Statistics: 533 Abstract Views, 822 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
Created: Mon, 23 Mar 2009, 17:01:15 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Architecture and Music Library