Window Detail, Blacksmiths Shop, Penal Settlement, St Helena Island

Keniger, Michael, 1947-. Window Detail, Blacksmiths Shop, Penal Settlement, St Helena Island.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview St_Helena_Island_877.tif image/tiff 26.25MB 493
Title Window Detail, Blacksmiths Shop, Penal Settlement, St Helena Island
Date photo taken 1986
Date scanned 2006-09-12
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947-
Location Moreton Bay, Queensland
Open Access Status Other
Category Government
Subcategory Penal settlements
Prison facilities
Agricultural equipment
Period Victorian (1840-1890)
Condition Deteriorated
Structural Systems & Elements Masonry construction
Building Materials Ashlar bricks
Bonded bricks
Corrugated iron
Beach rock
Architectural Features Corrugated metal sheeting
Stone walls
Timber-framed windows
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger.
References Some details taken from "The St Helena Island Prison: in pictures" by Jarvis Finger, Brisbane: Boolarong Publications, 1988. This publication is available at Fryer Library, University of Queensland.
Additional Notes St Helena Island is located in Moreton Bay four kilometres from the mouth of the Brisbane River. The island was given its name in 1828. In 1979, the island was gazetted as a national park, to be conserved as an historic site. St Helena Island National Park contains the ruins of the State’s first penal settlement, which operated from 1867 until 1932. The buildings were constructed by prisoners. The island's resources were used wherever possible – buildings were constructed from sandstone blocks quarried from the southern flats and bricks moulded from island clay mixes. A lime kiln was constructed to burn coral for cement. Remains of the prison stockade include the bakery, workshops and underground tanks. Beyond the stockade are the stone ruins of warder accommodation, a sugar mill, lime kiln, jetty and Queensland’s first tramway. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2007, retrieved 9 March 2009, from

Document type: Digilib Image
Collection: Queensland Country Towns
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Access Statistics: 176 Abstract Views, 496 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
Created: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 15:41:24 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Architecture and Music Library