Thorp's Buildings Streetscape, Ravenswood

Keniger, Michael, 1947-. Thorp's Buildings Streetscape, Ravenswood.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Ravenswood_655.tif Ravenswood_655.tif Click to show the corresponding preview/stream image/tiff 25.66MB 423
Title Thorp's Buildings Streetscape, Ravenswood
Abstract/Summary Thorp's Buildings was constructed for Sydney Hood Thorp, a mining agent and sharebroker who had a substantial business interest in both the Ravenswood and Charters Towers goldfields. It housed businesses which supplied miners with everything from household goods to mining machinery and is the only two storey shop still standing in Ravenswood. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 5 October 2008, from www.epa.qld.gov.au
Date of construction c.1903
Date photo taken 1986
Date scanned 2006-09-04
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947-
Location Macrossan Street, Ravenswood, Queensland
Australia
Category Commercial
Streetscapes
Subcategory Shops
Shopfronts
Rural streetscapes
Main streets
Period Federation (1890-1915)
Style Filigree
Condition Deteriorated
Structural Systems & Elements Grouped columns
Masonry construction
Timber construction
Building Materials Cast iron
Corrugated iron
Rendered brick
Timber
Architectural Features Arches
Awnings
Cast iron balustrades
Cast iron brackets
Cornices
Display windows
Entrances
French doors
Ornaments
Parapets
Pilasters
Single-storey
Steps
Timber doors
Timber posts
Timber-framed windows
Timber handrails
Two-storey
Valances
Verandahs
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger.
Additional Notes Ravenswood is about 130km south-west of Townsville. It developed as the first major mining town in north Queensland after the discovery of gold there in 1868. There were several mining booms in the area over the next few decades. However, mining had ceased by the end of the First World War. In the 1920s, buildings as well as people left Ravenswood, as some timber buildings were relocated in other towns. In the 1980s the whole town was listed by the Australian Heritage Commission and the National Trust of Queensland. Today Ravenswood is in a mining landscape, which consists of disturbed ground with scattered ruins and mullock heaps. It has population of around 100 who service the surrounding area and cater for the growing tourism industry.

Document type: Digilib Image
Collection: Queensland Country Towns
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Access Statistics: 201 Abstract Views, 465 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
Created: Mon, 06 Oct 2008, 12:51:48 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Architecture and Music Library