Arthur Street, Tambo, Queensland Star Street, Tambo, Queensland Australia
Post offices Rural streetscapes Main streets
Structural Systems & Elements
Brackets Grouped columns Timber construction
Corrugated iron Timber Weatherboard
Single-storey Decorative projecting gables Entrances Gable hip roofs Ogee arches Porches Sun hoods Roof ventilators Finials Weather vanes Windows Enclosed verandahs Louvres Stairs Lattices Verandahs
Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger.
Tambo is located on the Landsborough Highway approximately 1000km north west of Brisbane. Tambo, known originally as Carrangarra, was the first township on the Barcoo River. The settlement began in 1864 as pastoralists began taking up land for grazing. In 1868 the town was surveyed and renamed Tambo. A building boom occurred in the 1870s during which a hospital, bank, post office, school and courthouse were constructed. The pastoral industry remains the basis of Tambo's economy today.