Band Rotunda Melville Memorial, Maryborough

Keniger, Michael, 1947-. Band Rotunda Melville Memorial, Maryborough.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Maryborough_486.tif image/tiff 26.65MB 288
Title Band Rotunda Melville Memorial, Maryborough
Abstract/Summary The Bandstand is an ornamental pavilion in Queen's Park, Maryborough which was originally constructed as shade over the Melville Memorial Fountain. The pavilion comprises a cast iron ogee curved shade supported on cast iron columns bedded in a concrete plinth. Miss Janet Melville bequeathed the Band Rotunda and Melville Memorial Fountain (or Fairy Fountain) in memory of her brother Andrew who was Mayor of Maryborough in 1863. The bandstand is an unusual surviving example of an imported cast iron structure from William MacFarlane & Co, Saracen in Glasgow. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 2 June 2008, from www.epa.qld.gov.au
Date of construction 1890
Date photo taken 1979
Date scanned 2006-07-12
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947-
Location Queens Park, Maryborough, Queensland
Category Sports & recreations establishments
Monuments & memorials
Subcategory Rotundas
Parks
Bandstands
Pavilions
Memorials
Period Victorian (1840-1890)
Condition Renovated
Structural Systems & Elements Cast iron construction
Concrete construction
Columns
Brackets
Building Materials Cast iron
Concrete
Architectural Features Ogee arches
Finials
Ornaments
Filigree
Cupolas
Plinths
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Right holder: Michael Keniger.
Additional Notes Situated on the Mary River, Maryborough is one of Queensland’s oldest cities. It lies approximately 260km north of Brisbane, inland from Fraser Island. Settled in 1847 and proclaimed a City in 1905, Maryborough was the port for wool, timber and sugar industries, and the supply centre for the Gympie goldfields. Many of Australia’s free settlers entered the colony through the Port of Maryborough between 1859 and 1901. Maryborough's industrial base, although diversified today, still retains the original industries of engineering, sugar and timber. Maryborough has the state’s largest number of original Queenslanders, many lovingly restored to their former glory. Much of the city's character has been preserved in its classic buildings, mostly built of local timber in a range of sizes and designs.

Document type: Digilib Image
Collection: Queensland Country Towns
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Access Statistics: 278 Abstract Views, 311 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
Created: Mon, 19 May 2008, 16:08:07 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Architecture and Music Library