City Hall, Maryborough

Keniger, Michael, 1947-. City Hall, Maryborough.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Maryborough_352.tif image/tiff 26.71MB 98
Title City Hall, Maryborough
Alternative Title Maryborough Town Hall
Abstract/Summary The City Hall is a fine example of the work of prominent Queensland architectural partnership, Hall and Dods. The original building was two intersecting gabled wings. Soon after the opening, the entrance stairs were altered with outward sweeps added to the stair and plinths for lighting incorporated. Substantial additions, made in 1934, included the erection of a clock tower, the construction of a fly tower and the widening and lengthening of verandahs flanking the auditorium. In 1948 a single storeyed extension to the western side of the building was built and a second storey added to this section in 1978. The lettering above the entrance door, which on completion of the building in 1908 was "TOWN HALL”, was changed to "CITY HALL" in 1964, although Maryborough was proclaimed a city much earlier in 1905. Attached to the northern corner, abutting the entrance section, is a more recent two storeyed brick and glass extension, with skillion roof, tuckpointed brickwork and a modern interior fitout. The building is surrounded by grassed embankments to Kent Street and lawn areas and formal garden beds to Lennox Street. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 27 July 2008, from www.epa.qld.gov.au
Date of construction 1908
Date photo taken 1979
Date scanned 2006-07-12
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Architect Dods, Robert Smith (Robin), 1868-1920
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947-
Location Kent Street, Maryborough, Queensland
Lennox Street, Maryborough, Queensland
Australia
Category Government
Subcategory City & town halls
Period Federation (1890-1915)
Style Academic classical
Condition Renovated
Restored
Structural Systems & Elements Masonry construction
Columns
Brackets
Building Materials Brick
Rendered brick
Concrete
Corrugated iron
Tiles
Zinc sheets
Architectural Features Arches
Balconies
Balustrades
Belvederes
Clock towers
Cornices
Corrugated iron roofs
Domes
Entrances
Entablatures
Flagpoles
Decrative projecting gables
Pediments
Pilasters
Porticos
Stairs
Two-storey
Three-storey
Corner sites
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Right holder: Michael Keniger.
Additional Notes Situated on the Mary River, Maryborough is one of Queensland’s oldest cities. It lies approximately 260km north of Brisbane, inland from Fraser Island. Settled in 1847 and proclaimed a City in 1905, Maryborough was the port for wool, timber and sugar industries, and the supply centre for the Gympie goldfields. Many of Australia’s free settlers entered the colony through the Port of Maryborough between 1859 and 1901. Maryborough's industrial base, although diversified today, still retains the original industries of engineering, sugar and timber. Maryborough has the state’s largest number of original Queenslanders, many lovingly restored to their former glory. Much of the city's character has been preserved in its classic buildings, mostly built of local timber in a range of sizes and designs.

Document type: Digilib Image
Collection: Queensland Country Towns
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Access Statistics: 332 Abstract Views, 115 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
Created: Mon, 19 May 2008, 16:08:07 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Architecture and Music Library