Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger
Located 166 km north of Brisbane, Gympie is known as the 'Town that Saved Queensland'. Gympie's heritage began in 1867 with the discovery of gold at the site now occupied by the Town Hall. At the time, Queensland was facing bankruptcy due to drought and the fall in wool prices. The Gympie Gold Rush provided the boost to the Queensland economy that enabled the colony to survive. Named after a local stinging tree which the Aborigines reputedly called 'gimpi gimpi', the town officially became Gympie in 1868. It was proclaimed a municipality in 1880, became a town a decade later and was a city by 1905. The gold mining continued until 1925. The city then became the most important regional centre for the area servicing the variety of agricultural activities which spread from the coast into the hinterland. Today Gympie is the centre of the Mary River Valley agricultural district. The architecture typical of Gympie lends to the atmosphere of a bygone era, with many of the original buildings still in use today.