War Memorial, Gayndah

Keniger, Michael, 1947-. War Memorial, Gayndah.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Gayndah_784.tif image/tiff 24.98MB 152
Title War Memorial, Gayndah
Abstract/Summary The Gayndah War Memorial to the First World War was presented to the Rawbelle Shire and Gayndah Town Councils by Harold Wilson and designed and produced by Ernest Gunderson. It honours the 270 local men who served during the First World War. Those who died are identified by a small crown after their name. The five columns of names are centrally located on the board and are covered by clear glass in a metal frame. The upper section of the board is capped with scrollwork flanking a female figure of Britannia holding a shield of 'Liberty'. The figure stands above a laurel wreath encircling crossed flags and the words FOR KING AND COUNTRY. An oval plaque indicating the origins of the memorial sits below the wreaths and is flanked by AIF badges. The words ROLL OF HONOUR follow the line of the scroll work. On each side of this central section are pilasters capped by figures of mounted Light Horsemen above the dates 1914 - 1919. The lower section of the board displays oval plaques in each corner with relief work of an emu and a kangaroo. Additional relief work comprises a British lion and a kangaroo in the centre and cannons at each side. The pillars are surmounted by artillery shells encircled with bronze wreaths. This War Memorial is now situated further along Capper Street, Gayndah. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 1 June 2008, from www.epa.qld.gov.au
Date of construction 1921
Date photo taken 1986
Date scanned 2006-06-29
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947-
Location Capper Street, Gayndah, Queensland
Warton Street, Gayndah, Queensland
Australia
Category Monuments & memorials
Subcategory War memorials
Period Inter war (1915-1940)
Structural Systems & Elements Masonry construction
Building Materials Concrete
Marble
Bronze
Glass
Metal
Architectural Features Ornaments
Pinnacles
Pilasters
Pediments
Steps
Pillars
Plinths
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger
Additional Notes First settled in 1849 and the oldest town in Queensland, Gayndah is the historic centre of the Burnett region. Located 362km north of Brisbane on the Burnett Highway, it is situated on the banks of the Burnett River. Gayndah was gazetted as a town in 1852 after the plan for the town was drawn. The Port of Maryborough was established and opened in 1847. This provided a quicker means of access to the Burnett and Gayndah District and communication and freight started to flow to Maryborough from this area. Sheep and mining brought settlers into the area, but it was the drier, less humid climate, rich volcanic and alluvial soils and plenty of sunshine that set the area up as a prime citrus growing centre. In 1892 the first of Gayndah's citrus crops was planted. Many fine historic buildings lining the main street represent Edwardian, Federation and Art Deco styles. A unique collection of early designed railway bridges offer the railway enthusiast an insight into early bridge structure and engineering.

Document type: Digilib Image
Collection: Queensland Country Towns
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Access Statistics: 151 Abstract Views, 166 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
Created: Mon, 19 May 2008, 12:46:47 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Architecture and Music Library