Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger.
Situated approximately 670km inland from Rockhampton, the town of Longreach was gazetted in 1887 after being leased as pastoral land in 1860 to William Landsborough and Nat Buchanan. The town experienced rapid growth after the completion of the rail line from Barcaldine and the coast in 1892 and the success of the area’s wool industry in the early twentieth century.