Australian Bank of Commerce, Charters Towers

Keniger, Michael 1947-. Australian Bank of Commerce, Charters Towers.

Attached Files (Some files may be inaccessible until you login with your UQ eSpace credentials)
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Charters_Towers_642.tif Charters_Towers_642.tif image/tiff 26.76MB 400
Title Australian Bank of Commerce, Charters Towers
Alternative Title The Australian Joint Stock Bank, Charters Towers; The World Theatre, Charters Towers
Abstract/Summary From Mosman Street, the bank has maintained its appearance as a freestanding building, separated by narrow alleyways from the buildings on either side, which are the National Trust owned Lyall's jewellery shop and former Bright's mining exchange, both from the same era as the bank. In 1992 the bank building was purchased by the Shire of Dalrymple and developed as a cultural centre. The World Theatre complex was opened in September 1996. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 26 April 2008, from www.epa.qld.gov.au
Date of construction 1891
Date photo taken 1986
Date scanned 2006-06-21
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Architect Stanley, F. D. G. 1839-1897
Stanley, Francis Drummond Greville 1839-1897
Photographer Keniger, Michael 1947-
Location Mosman Street, Charters Towers, Queensland
Australia
Category Commercial
Streetscapes
Telecommunications
Subcategory Bank buildings
Shopfronts
Main streets
Telephones
Period Federation (1890-1915)
Style Academic classical
Condition Renovated
Structural Systems & Elements Masonry construction
Grouped columns
Columns
Posts (structural elements)
Building Materials Rendered brick
Corrugated iron
Timber
Cast iron
Glass
Architectural Features Two-storey
Balustrades
Parapets
Tympana
Single-storey
Awnings
Pediments
Cornices
Pilasters
Colonnades
Columns
Ornaments
Windows
Capitals
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger.
Additional Notes Charters Towers is situated approximately 130km south-west of Townsville, in North Queensland. The town was first settled around 1872 after the discovery of gold in the area. At the goldfields’ peak production, the Charters Towers population was estimated to be 26 500 people. However, with the decline of mining following World War I this figure began to decrease. The town has retained a number of important heritage sites, including the Stock Exchange building and the Venus Gold Battery. Primary industries include beef cattle and mining.

Document type: Digilib Image
Collection: Queensland Country Towns
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Citation counts: Google Scholar Search Google Scholar
Access Statistics: 375 Abstract Views, 411 File Downloads  -  Detailed Statistics
Created: Thu, 17 Jan 2008, 14:02:10 EST by Amy Cross on behalf of Architecture and Music Library